You’ve just remembered that it’s been a while since you’ve visited the dentist, so where should you start? At Queannbeyan Dental, we believe that scheduling a check-up and clean is a great place to begin. Most dentists recommend having a check-up and clean every six months. Regularly going in for a check-up and clean allows the dentist to evaluate the health of your teeth, gum, and mouth.
You may not know this but leaving dental concerns to worsen can have adverse effects on your overall health.
Why are teeth check-ups so important?
Teeth check-ups are no different to regular doctor appointments. The issue we have is that many of us neglect the health of our teeth and mouth until we realise that something is not right. With 6-month check-ups, you can keep on top of your dental hygiene routine and stay ahead of any issues that may be developing. This often avoids more painful and costly issues.
Benefits of professional teeth cleaning
Similarly, professional teeth cleaning is key to maintaining your dental health. Here are reasons why teeth cleaning is essential for patients of all ages:
When a dentist professionally cleans your teeth, they remove built-up plaque and tartar present on your teeth that a toothbrush alone cannot get rid of. In addition, dentists use specialised tools that analyse areas you might be overlooking in your dental hygiene routine. During the appointment, your dentist can highlight areas of concern and provide advice on how to improve your cleaning routine. Common things dentists and patients like to talk about:
- The latest dental products to use
- Ways to minimise decay
- Cleaning hard to reach areas
With a proper oral health routine and dental visits, you will lower your chances of developing dental diseases. These conditions can be quite painful, take a toll on your general health, and can cost you a fortune in treatments. Dental diseases that we come across are:
- Tooth decay – Decay happens when foods containing carbohydrates are left on the teeth, such as bread, milk, soft drinks, and lollies. It can affect both the enamel and the internal layer of the tooth.
- Gum disease – This means that there is a bacterial infection present in your gums. Gum disease is suffered by one in three Australian adults. Current research shows that chronic gum disease increases the risk of serious cardiovascular events, Type 2 diabetes, adverse pregnancy outcomes and plays a major part in bad breath!
- Oral cancer – In its early stages, oral cancer is treatable and curable. A professional dentist will identify and alert you if you are showing any indications of oral cancer.
Tips for after your check-up and clean
After your teeth have been checked and cleaned and you have no current or developing dental problems, your dentist may offer you some tips and advice on how to take care of your teeth in the meantime. Here are some helpful tips you will hear from your dentist:
- Continue to brush your teeth and floss twice a day
- Use fluoride toothpaste where possible
- Use an appropriate soft toothbrush
- Avoid sugary treats or eat them in moderation
- Reduce intake of acidic or sugary drinks
Need to book a teeth check-up and clean appointment? Let Queanbeyan Dental Clinic take care of you
Now you should understand how good oral health is an important part of your overall health, which helps prevent tooth decay and gum disease. Are you looking to get your teeth checked and cleaned? Contact Queanbeyan Dental Clinic now and book your appointment with our professional team. Call our friendly team on (02) 6297 3171 and we’ll be more than happy to help!